Losing a tooth can be exciting for a child, but it’s a traumatic experience for an adult!
Fortunately, Dr. Blum’s expertise in the field of implant dentistry can help you restore your healthy smile. We invite you to visit our Smile Gallery to view some examples of our work.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth. They use titanium anchors to replace missing tooth roots, usually placed in the jawbone where they biologically bond to the living bone tissue. The anchors support fixed crowns that look, feel and function like natural teeth. This may be the best solution for a person seeking to replace multiple teeth or to enhance the comfort and aesthetics of wearing complete or partial dentures — as implant supported dentures.
The secret to successful implant surgery is knowing where to place them, gentle but precise preparation, meticulous attention to sterility, optimal implant surface and materials, thorough knowledge of healing and physiology and attention to details. When inserted properly, the metallic properties of the implants encourage the body to receive and incorporate it into the jawbone. In time, the union between the implant and jawbone is stronger than the bone itself.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants have many advantages, especially when replacing groups of missing or failing teeth.
• Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that replaces the root of the missing tooth, leaving surrounding teeth better aligned and healthier.
• Dental implants provide patients with a new set of permanent, fixed teeth. They do not require patients to remove their teeth, as with unfixed dentures.
• Dental implants do not require neighboring healthy teeth to be cut down in order to place bridges.
• Dental implants allow replaced teeth to act independently, making home brushing and flossing easier and more effective.
• Dental implants allow for the most aesthetically pleasing result, which is often difficult to achieve with other types of restoration.
If you are trying to decide between getting dental implants or removable dentures, please read our Implants or Removable Dentures? question section for more information, or call us today to set up an appointment to discuss your options.